June 4, 2009
September 2005, a new problem came into my life. It concerns my health. The doctor said that I have “Scoliosis”, an illness that made my spine twist and turn. It was already 25-30 degrees. For operation, it will cost half a million pesos and my family doesn’t have that big amount so we decided to look for other opinions from other doctors. We met another one. She said I need to wear a “body brace” to prevent the turn of my spine. Without thinking twice, my parents bought it for 20,000 pesos and I wore the brace for 2 and a half years.
Last 2007, my mother and I visited the doctor again to have an x-ray test for my back. The doctor said we need to come back the tomorrow to know the result. The next day, I had big hopes that it will be good but it didn’t go that way. Instead of being healed, my back was already twisted at 50degrees. I suffered different pains in my body and I had shed so many tears because of it.
November 2008, my dad’s friend suggested making me see a doctor in Cebu and he told me and my mom. They both decided that we will see the doctor. We departed at 6 in the morning by plane to Cebu, my first plane ride. In Cebu we went to see 2 doctors. The first one has negative news, “hopeless” was the word I heard from his mouth. The second one said that there is still a chance but I can see in his face the reality. He also suggested making me wear a different kind of brace and a new doctor for us to see. My parents bought the brace which cost 15,000pesos. Before we went home to Cagayan de Oro City, we first went to a Miraculous Saint, “Birhen sa Regla”. She once helped me, and we are hoping that she will help us again. I asked her one simple thing “cure me”.
When we came back from Cebu, my mother and I visited the doctor who was recommended by my doctor in Cebu. She was nice, she said that if I’ll be rehabilitated, it will be helped, and if I wear the brace too. And when I turn 18, I will have an operation.
December 2008, my uncle visited me. He’s a priest from Malaybalay, Bukidnon. But I didn’t get the chance to talk to him because I was in class that time, but he and my mother talked. My mother was crying because of what I had been going through that time, the pain and all, but there was something that my uncle told my mom that made her strong; “Do not lose hope, because hope is beyond death.”.
February 26, 2009, my friends hosted a farewell party for me because I am leaving the place where I grew up for 13 years. Because of my condition, my system is already weak and I could hardly breathe. My doctor said that the city is no place for me anymore because of the heat and pollution. Everybody cried, and I also cried. I did not want to go but I had no choice. I still want to live. I still want to fulfill my dreams.
Sometimes I feel a little jealous to the people around me. I wonder why of all the millions of people in the world, why does it have to be me getting this “gift”. Why me? But my mom always says “He loves you very much that’s why He gave you that gift”.
I’m still suffering from various pains all over my body and I still shed tears because of it. But I need to be strong because through Him, nothing is impossible.
I don’t know what will happen to me. I don’t know how it will end. But I’ll just enjoy life and be happy despite what is happening. Because I know He loves me and I am not alone. I know that God is always there to care and love me.
- Samantha Nicole Delfin
*Uncle's note:
This was written about 2months ago. i just got hold of this recently and since i was on travel most of the time, it took me a little time to post it. I told sam to write, draw, paint whenever she feels down or whenever she is happy. it makes her forget what she is into.
thank you for reading this article..
To: Samantha Nicole Delfin
ReplyDeleteHi! I hope you are doing fine right now. In God's grace, I hope you are. Well, I don't actually know you but I could feel your pain. All I can say is just try to be hopeful and be strong as you are struggling. I know it's hard but you've got to. Life is a constant struggle for survival. So, be STRONG. :) For now, all I can do is to include you in my prayers. Perhaps this could help you. Get well soon dear. God bless.
Dear Sam,
ReplyDeleteI am deeply touched by your story. Even if I do not know you ,but I could feel the pain that you have felt.I was once like you when I was at your age, suffering a disease(though a different one)that might seem impossible to be cured.Yet, I never stopped believing that God has designed something for a beautiful plan. I never stopped hoping that someday I can still see the brighter days of my life. I hope you do.I know that you are a strong girl, full of hopes and aspirations.Just keep on trusting God for His plan is better than ours.You can see someday that everything will be alright.Sam, pray always. Take it from Thesalonians: "Pray at all times.Be thankful in all circumstances.This is what God wants from you in your life in union with Christ Jesus." Get well soon ha...
Hello Sam,
ReplyDeleteI got some information from the net. You may ave read this already but I am still taking my chances to help with information. May you be continually be an inspiration. God bless.
Scoliosis - What Increases Your Risk?
Factors that increase a person's risk for scoliosis include:
• Family history. Scoliosis is known to run in families. Children—especially daughters—of women who have scoliosis are at increased risk for having scoliosis. 4
• Being female. Girls are seven times more likely than boys to have a significant curve that requires treatment. 2
Scoliosis is more common in people who have:
• A spinal bone that is pushed forward (forward displacement), usually in the lower back (spondylolisthesis).
• Missing or abnormally short arms or legs.
• Other disorders related to tissue development while in the womb.
http://health.yahoo.com/back-treatment/should-i-or-my-child-have-surgery-for-scoliosis/healthwise--aa115911.html
samy my dear..thank God you've made it....thats the spirit...just hold on to God...He knows wats best for you...c u on my wedding day my brides maid, i love you....
ReplyDeleteHI my 12 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with scoliosis she has a 21 degree curve and my husband and I are finding a way to help her. I cried reading this. Are you based in Malaybalay? I am from Davao City we are pretty near. Do email me: alexmhao@yahoo.com. I am researching all i can about scoliosis.
ReplyDelete